Tynemouth win high-scoring draw at Whitburn

Tynemouth's  Matthew Brown on his way to 62 in the Dukes ECB NEPL Co-operative Funeralcare T20 Cup game against Felling. Picture by Colin Edwards
Tynemouth's Matthew Brown on his way to 62 in the Dukes ECB NEPL Co-operative Funeralcare T20 Cup game against Felling. Picture by Colin Edwards

Tynemouth Cricket Club first XI won a high scoring draw away to Whitburn on Saturday.

The visitors batted first in determined fashion with skipper and opener Ben Debnam blasting 44 off 44 balls with eight boundaries.

Matt Brown almost matched him with five boundaries in his slower 35. Tahir Khan was more selective with five fours and two sixes off 71 balls in his 42 as he pushed the score along with the promoted Ben Richardson who hit 58 off 67 balls including nine fours and a six.

Tynemouth made their best league score for a while with 260-9 declared off 60 overs.

The Whitburn reply saw openers Daniel Shurben (98) and Neil Ayre (40) put on 108 for the first wicket. However, following the loss of Ayre lbw to Andrew Smith, wickets continued to fall and the only further support for the Shurben threat was 26 from Dan Woolstone as Tynemouth contained well and restricted Whitburn to 189-6 off 46 overs.

Smith, Phil Morse and Finn Lonnberg each claimed two wickets. Shurben was the last wicket to fall, caught by Smith off Morse.

The second team hosted Sunderland and stalwart skipper Tony Lion elected to bat.

Whilst Lion made 23, not one of the rest of the pack could make double figures and the total was a paltry 69 in only 22.2 overs.

Damage was inflicted by Philip Smith who took 6-13 off 6.2 overs and Joseph Stuart with 3-21 off six overs.

In reply, Sunderland completed their task with the loss of only two wickets in 20.2 overs.

Richie Hay struck early thanks to a catch by Jack Byerley and Lion bowled Adam Applegarth (15). Opener Peter Fenwick made no mistake with an undefeated 36.

Attendance of a significant number of the Tynemouth squad at the Durham one-day international had proved costly for the seconds and also impinged on availability for the thirds.

The thirds travelled to high-flying Ulgham with a youthful team who were simply outstanding in the field.

Skipper Ed Snelders won the toss and asked the hosts to bat first. Mark Plummer was first out for 23, stunningly caught by Harvey Malton off Snelders with 41 on the board against the strike pairing of Snelders and Neil Bennett.

Snelders then took an equally sharp catch for Bennett who bowled the dangerous Roy Haygarth with the next ball.

Opener Colin Tait was still resisting as Henry Malton trapped Daren Campbell for only two at 72-4.

Malton and Don Catley tied up the scoring rate with the exception of the occasional six from number six bat Dave Covell.

The score moved on to 161 in the 40th over before the partnership was finally broken after several near chances with the ball not quite going to hand.

Dovell was caught on the boundary off Catley for 66 by the sure hands of Jon Malton who then called and took a second catch off the returning bowling of Snelders.

Tom Stoetzel was also called in to action and he claimed an lbw to see Ulgham post 221-6 off the 50 overs with Tait 61 still not out.

Bowling: Snelders 13-1-47-2, Bennett 12-2-56-2, Catley 13-3-42-1, Henry Malton 8-0-39-1, Stoetzel 4-0-24-1.

Tynemouth sent in the new pairing of Dave Mahan and Stoetzel with 18 coming off the first over, but then Mahan was bowled in the second over for eight.

Stoetzel was trapped lbw soon after and Tynemouth now had Simon Ward (14) and Ben Chater (12) at the crease.

The score moved on to 47 when Ward was caught. John Malton added solidity to the order but Chater, Harvey Malton and James Yeomans (6) all fell.

Henry Malton (15) shared a stand of 31 with father Jon, taking the score to 100 before cautious Jon was caught for 26 going for the big hit.

Nick Dodds took one of his four catches, just inside the longest boundary.

Neil Bennett, with a rapid 29, fell the same way attempting his fourth sixth in four balls.

Snelders made 11 as he and Catley (3 no) batted on for the third batting point. With 157 the final score, Ulgham had won an entertaining game by 64 runs.

Dodds and Chris Cowe each claimed three wickets. Ulgham claimed 30 points to Tynemouth’s six.

Tynemouth Under-15s finally got into action with a sunny trip to Morpeth.

Winning the toss and batting first, Tynemouth’s openers were soon back changing their gear. Gourley (48) and Whiting (29) wrestled the initiative back into Tynemouth’s favour and along with a brisk innings from Fatherley (12) meant Morpeth were set 113 to win.

In response, Morpeth’s innings never really got going against the opening attack of Gourley (1-9) and Harvey Malton (1-24), the highlight of which was Malton’s wicket which would have bowled most of the players.

A spell of slight complacency entered Tynemouth’s game giving Morpeth a sniff of victory, until Stoetzel (4-5) and Henry Malton (2-6), finished the game as a contest. This game showed the side has promise but still has work to do.

Then followed a cup game away at Howick Hall against Alnmouth and Lesbury A.

Tynemouth once again batted first with a solid opening partnership from Wilson (12) and Stoetzel which was finally broken in the eighth over.

Stoetzel (47 no) was joined by Gourley (50 no), and this was where the wickets dried up for Alnmouth. Tynemouth capitalised with some strong hitting which saw them finish on 123-1.

Alnmouth’s reply began brightly, with an opening stand of 64. Until Henry Malton (2-21) started the rot - his last three overs producing figures of 2-3 - his second wicket being the three times dropped Thorpe.

The big turning point came when John Clyde pouched the second of Almouth openers, from which they never recovered.

Faced with some strong Tynemouth fielding and a fine spell of bowling from Williams (1-14) and Wilson (4-14), Alnmouth declined and were all out 13 runs short.

The next round sees South Northumberland visit Preston Avenue and a Tynemouth side going in the right direction.

Unfortunately the U15s have suffered with both Backworth and Alnwick pulling out of the division.

A plea to the league has been made to even out the two divisions into an even number.

Tynemouth are currently attempting to organise other games in order to give more players a chance to get game time and practicing hard will give them the best opportunity to show what they can do.

Forthcoming fixtures - Thursday, June 25: Seconds v Whitburn (away) 6pm, Roseworth Trophy; U15s v South North (home), 6pm, cup semi-final. Friday, June 26: Firsts v Seaham Harbour (away) 6pm, NEPL T20. Saturday, June 27: Firsts v South Shields (home) 11.30am, NEPL Premier Division; Seconds v Sacriston (away) 1pm, NEPL Division 2; Thirds v Monkseaton (home) 1pm, NCL Division 1. Sunday, June 28: Firsts v South Shields (home) 1.30pm, Banks Salver Quarter-Final; U13s v Stocksfield (away) 10am, NJL; U11s Tammys v Newcastle (away) 10am, NJL; U11s Montys v Backworth (home) 10am, NJL.