Tynemouth win the Tyne bragging rights – but not the Salver

Tynemouth wicketkeeper Mattt Brown goes for a stumping in his side's game at South Shields.
Tynemouth wicketkeeper Mattt Brown goes for a stumping in his side's game at South Shields.

An in-form Tynemouth first XI made the short trip across the river to South Shields where their hosts for the day elected to bat first.

The Southsiders were dismissed for only 129, although the process took 50.1 overs.

Tynemouth lost five wickets in their task to claim bragging rights and achieved their aim in only 31.1 overs and push into the upper half of the Premier League table.

It took no time at all for Tynemouth’s bowlers to eat in to the Shields line-up. David Hymers with 3-45 off 16 overs had opener Tim David caught by Tahir Khan with only 14 on the board and Nick Armstrong with 1-25 off seven overs had Uzair Afaq caught by keeper Matt Brown to make it 14-2.

Only the old hand Gordon Muchall with 45, including four boundaries and a six, showed any resistance until skipper Chris Rainbow at number nine hit 34 to take the total in to three figures.

Tahir Khan was instrumental in calling Tynemouth’s tune with 4-38 off a superb 18 overs spell.

Brown claimed another catch and a smart stumping and Ryan Macciocchi joined the party with 2-13 off a tight 9.1 overs to complete the job.

Tynemouth, of course, never perform without some concerns and they were reduced to 9-3 as the top three batsmen were taken out by Chris Stewart and Liam Dixon.

However, Brown at number fourshowed his maturity to recover the situation and took the score on to 80 with 35 valuable runs after Marcus Turner had fallen by the wayside for only eight.

Tahir Khan with 47 not out (six fours and a six) and Sam Robson 26 not out (three fours and two sixes) then achieved the target with no further mistakes and without further delay.

On Sunday Tynemouth were brought back down to earth when they lost in the Premier League Salver final to Eppleton.

Despite 5-37 off nine overs from Tahir Khan, Eppleton posted a target of 224 all out in 45 overs, which Tynemouth fell exactly 100 runs short of.

They were dismissed in 33.2 overs with only Brown and Phil Morse making any real contribution, both scoring 27.

The second team hosted Sacriston and elected to make first use of a firm track despite the blustery conditions.

They started well with Niall Piper and Tony Turner putting on 41 for the first wicket before Piper fell caught for 25.

Chris Fairley (21) and Turner (25) each might have gone on to make a bigger score but it was that man Graeme Hallam again with 69 not out who took control of the innings.

There were useful stands with Ian Stewart (14), a late promotion from the deprived third team, and Tony Lion with 19 not out to take the total to 190-6 when the declaration was made after 50 overs.

Nathan Hall took 3-46 being the scalps of Turner, Fairley and Stewart.

Tynemouth felt fairly comfortable having set this target. The opening strike force bowling of veteran Russell Perry and youngster Owen Gourley made life difficult for the Sacriston top order.

However, it was a sharp run out by Gourley which claimed the wicket of Shah Alam for only seven with 29 on the board.

The change bowling of Lion reduced this to 32-2 when Fairley leaped to take a stunning catch and dismiss the other opener Hall.

Then followed a long and crucial stand between Dominic Scott and skipper Andrew Dixon, which took the score to 176-3 when Perry had Scott caught by Gourley for 49.

Dixon required minimum further support to win the game but finished one short of a century still at the crease.

Sacriston won by five wickets in the 56th over with Perry taking 2-29 off 11.5 overs, Gourley an efficient 0-29 off 11 and wickets for Lion and Hallam.

The third team hosted Ulgham and were asked to bat first on the soft pitch.

Ulgham struck early and bowlers Dave Loxham and Darrell Campbell were well on top with the first three Jon, Harvey and Henry Malton all dismissed cheaply.

The trend continued with only Richard Warwick batting with any effect to make 14 in typical style with one boundary before he was caught in the deep.

Tynemouth were a poor 44 all out in the 16th over, aided by 13 in wides, with Loxham taking 4-28 and Campbell 5-15.

Ulgham did struggle in their reply as Bennett surprised Roy Haygarth with a yorker to dismiss him for one and record 1-18 off four overs.

At the other end, Warwick bowled a tight four over spell for four.

The introduction of Harvey Malton with 1-6 off two overs accounted for Robert Dodds, caught by chief catcher Bennett for 17, but other chances were not taken.

Skipper for the day Don Catley, 0-10 off 2.4 overs, had no joy in seeking his 25th wicket for the season.

Rather, Adam Tait finished to job by eight wickets on 11 not out with a boundary, paired with his opener dad Colin still on six not out.

Tea was taken at the end of the game by 3pm after the early 12.30 start. The final fixture is away to Monkseaton on Saturday.

Following the Tynemouth Beer Festival at the club on September 17 to 19, it is then the presentation night on Friday, September 25.

This will cover all categories from the juniors up to the first team.

Family of the year must be the Maltons who are almost always available to play and also ‘just get on and do it’ before and after a game when clearing up is to be done, flags collected in, etc.

Unfortunately on Saturday one of them lost the toss on behalf of the skipper and the third team had to bat first.