Unbeaten Pumas run in 12 tries

Brothers Andrew, Chris and Anthony Dunn who played their part in Percy Park Pumas' win over Sunderland III.
Brothers Andrew, Chris and Anthony Dunn who played their part in Percy Park Pumas' win over Sunderland III.

PERCY Park Pumas remain unbeaten for the season after a 12-try demolition job on Sunderland at Preston Avenue.

The visitors were at least twice the age of the home side, and could not contain the pace of the Park side.

Adam Fidler, playing in the centre instead of his usual back row slot, opened the scoring inside two minutes and two minutes later Eddie Saint was rewarded with some excellent support play after Stevie Urwin had burst down the right wing.

Paul Spowart notched Park’s third try with the help of the old man of the side Chris Dunn playing at No.8, after a good break by scrum half George Carr. The cross wind was proving tricky for fly half Stephen Baskerville who kicked his first conversion after two previous narrow misses.

The Park pack included three Dunn brothers, with hooker Andrew returning to rugby after a lengthy lay off with a serious shoulder injury. But it was his brother Anthony who scored the first of his brace of tries on 18 minutes, which Baskerville converted.

Park were scoring at will, and the Sunderland defence was unlocked by a jinking run by Dave Parfitt to score under the posts.

The Wearsiders showed real spirit but were no match for the Park youngsters, most of whom had graduated from the Park mini and junior section.

Tries by Freddie Hill, Ryan Brooke and another from Dave Parfitt gave Percy Park a 48-0 lead at half time.

In the second period, Sunderland had a prolonged period in the Park half, but the home defence denied them even a sniff of a try before Baskerville scored his first try.

Tony Dunn at the tail of the line out picked up his second try after Andrew spotted he was unmarked and threw a long back which he collected and burst through the defenders near the line to score.

The final two tries came from Baskerville and Fidler before the referee call an end to proceedings.



THIS was a re-arranged league game after the scheduled match was called off due to a waterlogged pitch at Marl Pitts. In the end the game had to be moved to Sale’s Heyward Road ground and kicked off at 3.30pm.

Park led at the break 12-5 before a serious neck injury to Park’s skipper John Scott delayed play for some 45 minutes before an ambulance arrived and he was taken to hospital.

Happily he appears to be making a good recovery after a night in hospital, although he awaits an MRI scan to assess the extent of the injury.

Rossendale went on to win the game 23-15.

Next week Park take on Waterloo at Preston Avenue. There will be a lunch prior to the game, so anyone wishing to attend should contact Albi Duhrin or Barry Smith.


THE Lions stay top of Candy Division 1 after Billingham conceded the game and the points. This was very disappointing for the lads who had not played for some weeks due to the bad weather.

Billingham cancelled on Friday evening citing lack of players, leaving it too late to pick up a replacement game. Next week the Lions have a tough game away to Blaydon Georgians who they have played twice already this season.


THE Marauders won this double header league fixture, at West End to move them up the Northumberland River Coquet League.