Vale thumped

ON Saturday Monkseaton entertained high flying Clara Vale at Churchill and ran out convincing winners.

Skipper Owen Rankin won the toss and elected to bat, and the decision proved a good one as openers Kevin Elliot and Stu Baister put on a splendid 116 for the first wicket.

Baister was first out, lbw for 47, while Elliot scored before being bowled.

Chris Beever chipped in with a quick 20, Chris Telfer added a further 12, Rankin then came to the wicket and played a superb captain’s innings of 57 not out, and aided by a fine 22 from Ben Windass, the innings finished on 282-7.

Clara Vale have been scoring runs for fun in their previous games so were not to be underestimated.

But Monkseaton stuck to their task and Matty Klenhans bowled beautifully, swinging the ball a mile and took 4-37 in 13 overs including the wicket of the dangerous Rehan.

Scotty Graham also bowled well, taking 2-43 in nine overs.

It was left to Chris Coulson to mop up the tail with 3-13 in three overs.

Monkseaton claimed a maximum 30 points against a team who have not lost so far this season.

The second team travelled to New Hartley seconds who batted first.

The game started in bizarre fashion as Gary Errington bowled the first ball and beat the bat.

The batsman had taken his guard outside the crease and just stood there practising his shot, allowing eagle-eyed keeper Mark Tunstall to throw down his wicket.

Errington and John Hewett then tore apart New Hartley’s top order as they were reduced to 18-5 at one stage.

The innings was salvaged by a superb 76 by Ives as they finished on 135.

Hewett took four wickets, Errington three, Barry Cliffe two and Gavin Rankin one.

Mark Tunstall and Bob Zanetti opened the batting for Monkseaton.

Tunstall batted beautifully for 46 not out but veteran club president Zanetti rolled back the years and belied his age of 62 to amass a powerful unbeaten 83, although starting a little scratchy he proceeded to hit the ball to all corners of the ground.

The opening pair saw off the runs in 22 overs giving them maximum points.

The thirds travelled to Kirkley where the home side batted first and amassed 181-5.

Jordan Murphy and Andy Simms took two wickets apiece and Tommy Baptist one.

Monkseaton were unable to post much of a reply being bowled out for 92.

Andy Simms making a creditable 31.

The highlight of the day was Kirkley bowler Dougie Cheek taking 7-11 with five wickets coming from his last five consecutive balls.

On Saturday the firsts are at home to Tynemouth thirds, the seconds away to Blyth seconds and the thirds at home to Hebburn seconds at Priors Park.

Monkseaton is pon the lookout for scorers.

Anyone interested in doing this valuable job should contact Tony Errington on 07932 691604.