Wallsend lose out to strong Ashington team

WALLSEND RFC travelled to a well-drilled Ashington team and were beaten 45-19.

The home side started the better and were soon seven points up with a break through the Wallsend ruck and some misunderstanding allowed a free run under the sticks.

With some key players missing, Wallsend knew it was always going to be hard and that showed when Ashington again broke the line after a missed tackle which Wallsend could not recover from.

Down by 12 points after seven minutes, Wallsend decided to man up as they started to put some patterns together.

Some strong forward running from Micheal Florence and Ross Phillips allowed Wallsend good positioning and more clever rucking from the visitors got them into the Ashington half for a good spell.

Two penalties in the next five minutes allowed Peter Hamil to drag back six points and things started to look up for them as the score remained 12-6 for at least 30 minutes of the first half.

Even though Wallsend started to put Ashington under some pressure at the lineout as Steve Bootland and Drew Taylor took some against the head, it was again a missed tackle that led to the home team scoring another converted try.

Wallsend came back and a couple of penalties in the Ashington 22 led to a quick tap by Jonny Baldwin and as he stretched for the line the referee was in the ideal place to see it scrape the white wash before the Ashington forwards pushed him back.

At half-time the score was 19-11 and Wallsend were not out of it as they showed some promising play at times.

But were definitely second best in the first half due to missed tackles, which is so unlike them.

As the second half kicked off ,Wallsend ran down the slight slope full of hope that a couple of quick tries could turn things round and as Baldwin was winning every loose ball on the floor with his fearless play.

Wallsend did get good territory through kicks into the corner but just could not execute their lineouts when there.

Ashington again switched on the turbos and from some deep runs found gaps and Wallsend fell for every dummy thrown in the direction and soon the game was out of reach and heads went down.

Craig Irwin came back into the forwards after starting at No. 10 and the possession seemed to get better and the forwards seemed to start to flow a lot stronger.

But some things just did not seem right with Wallsend and that showed as the oldest man on the pitch by far dummied the last man of defence and scored to take the score to 45-11 with only three minutes to play.

In them few minutes Wallsend got a consolation try as they pushed the ball right then left keeping the ball alive and went in at the corner through Lee Miller on the last play of the game.

This weekend Wallsend are at home to Prudhoe and Stocksfield.