Warriors hold on for victory over Metros

Whitley Warriors netminder, Liam McAllister saving from Trafford Metros.
Whitley Warriors netminder, Liam McAllister saving from Trafford Metros.

WHITLEY Warriors continued their unbeaten start to the National League season with a 6-4 win over visiting Trafford Metros at Hillheads last Sunday.

The home side made a blistering start and were three goals to the good in just ten minutes.

Harry Harley started the Warriors goal rush at 2.14 with a great finish from close range, then Callum Pattison doubled the lead five minutes later.

Whitley were well on top at this stage and when Dean Holland added a third just past the ten minute mark, they looked capable of racking up a big score.

However, the visitors pulled one back through Max Drakeley at 16.42 and that would give them hope they could get something out of the contest.

Certainly they were the better side in the opening stages of the middle session, but after failing to capitalise they went further behind at 34.17 when Mark Good made the most of a pass from his brother DJ to make it 4-1.

The home side then hit some penalty trouble in the latter stages of the period and that allowed Trafford to hit back with two late goals.

Steve Elliott reduced the arrears at 37.34 and then turned provider for a Jared Dickinson goal inside the final minute.

Tempers boiled over in the closing seconds and both teams began the final stanza short-handed.

Skipper DJ Good gave the Warriors some breathing space with a strike at 47.16, but once again the visitors kept in touch as Max Drakeley scored his second goal of the night to make it 5-4 with ten minutes remaining.

However, it was to be Whitley who had the final say as Christian Johnson hit the insurance marker at 58.13.

“It was certainly all us in the early stages of the game and we were good value for the lead,” said Whitley skipper DJ Good after the win.

“But you have to give Trafford credit for the way the battled back into the game.

“Penalty trouble in the second and third periods probably cost us a couple of goals, because that took the rhythm out of our game, but we should have been stronger with the size of squad we had tonight and did better on the penalty kill.”

However, it was another two points for the Warriors and the new club captain feels the side have made a very good start to the season.

“Five points out of six is the kind of start anyone would take,” Good added.

“We are getting better with every game and training is going very well also, so we can be very pleased with the way we have gone so far.

“Especially as we have brought in some new players over the summer, and they have gelled very well, especially in defence where we have relied on the them because of the number of people we lost in that department from last season.”

As for the captaincy, Good is delighted to have been offered the role before the first game.

“I first started watching the Warriors back in the Heineken League days when I was about four-years-old, so after being a fan, to be now leading the side is a great honour for me,” he added.

“I have always believed in leading by example, so you won’t get too much change from me as a player and I certainly don’t want to let my game be affected by the responsibility.”

The Warriors are in action again on Sunday when Sutton Sting make their first ever visit to Hillheads for a North Cup fixture.

“Ritchie Lawson and Jamie Tinsley both missed the win over Trafford through injury,” said Good, “but we hope to have them both back for what promises to be a tough encounter with a Sutton side that have just been promoted to the first division and have a side packed with experienced players.”