Whitley Bay take local honours against Monkseaton

On Saturday Monkseaton Cricket Club played a double header with the first and second teams playing their Whitley Bay counterparts.

The first team played at home and skipper Cameron Butler lost the toss and was asked to bat.

Monkseaton lost a couple of early wickets including that of Ben Windass, who left a ball and was bowled neck and crop.

The innings was rescued by a stand between Mark Tunstall, who made a fine 57, and Owen Rankin, who compiled a creditable 38.

Skipper Cam Butler scored an unbeaten 34 with Monkseaton finishing on a useful total of 199, which would have been more if they had used their allotted 50 overs.

A really good wicket did not help the bowlers much but they quickly made inroads into the Whitley Bay top order.

Then veteran Whitley batsman Ivan Pearson strode to the wicket and hit 62 precious runs, and with Craig Sample hitting 29 not out, Whitley Bay won by one wicket.

The wickets were shared around by the bowlers, Matty Kleynhans taking three, and there were also two run outs.

Monkseaton second team captain Eric Thompson won the toss in the reverse fixture and decided to bat on an excellent wicket.

They soon lost Andy Simms, but Bob Zanetti and Richard Anderson pulled the innings around, Zanetti scoring 47 and Anderson carrying on from his fine knock from the previous week with a lovely 44, including some beautiful square cuts.

Skipper Eric Thompson chipped in with 27 and Richard Parkinson made a hard hitting unbeaten 26 at the end as Monkseaton finished on 197-7.

Bowling was never going to be easy on this wicket, as was soon discovered when Graham Ord started to hit the ball to all parts of the ground.

At one stage Whitley Bay were 57 for no wicket and Ord had 50 of them.

The bowlers fought back well and started to take a few wickets but Davy Sproat hit a belligerent 37 not out to see Whitley Bay home, reaching 198-6 with two overs to spare.

Mark Leppan bowled with good pace taking, two wickets and Gary Errington one, while Gavin Rankin was the pick of the bowlers, bowling good line and length and bagging two, with John Hewett taking the remaining wicket.

The third team unfortunately took a bit of a hammering at the hands of Bates second team.

They were bowled out for 67 with the only useful contribution coming from Jason Ellis, who scored 23.

Bates knocked off the runs for the loss of one wicket, claimed by young Daniel Macdougall.

Next week the firsts play Bomarsund away, the seconds are at home to Bomarsund and the thirds play at home at Priors Park against Blue Flames second team.