Narrow home defeat for Percy Park rugby

Percy Park RFC 17Morley 23Despite outscoring the visitors by three tries to two, Percy Park lost narrowly in the gloomy conditions at Preston Avenue on Saturday.

Monday, 25th November 2019, 11:09 am
Updated Tuesday, 26th November 2019, 1:16 pm
Action from Saturday's game.
Action from Saturday's game.

In the early exchanges Park tried to play the ball wide, but Morley had some big hitters and it was they who made the initial breakthrough when fly half Mark Chester broke the line. Chester fended or held off a Park defender before offloading, with the other hand, to supporting runners. The try was made in the corner and a decent conversion taken. 7-0 to the Yorkshire side.

Percy needed to hit back and they got themselves on the scoreboatrd when Ruairi Meharg and Michael Grove combined, with the latter going over for an unconverted try, 5-7.

Chester then kicked a penalty as the visitors moved 5-10 in front, a lead they held until the half-time whistle.

Park made a bright start to the second half and after being denied by a foot in touch and a dropped ball, they managed to get themselves in front at 12-10 when Josh Hedley literally hauled his team mates over the line to score a converted try.

But the home supporters knew the match was not won yet and that was a point hammered home when Morley seized their moment, gathering and then grinding Park down before scoring underneath the posts. The conversion was taken and the guests were 12-17 in front.

The next score also went to the visitors when the referee blew for offside, a penalty was awarded and duly kicked for a 12-20 lead.

Coach Patton freshened the lineup. On came Sean Williamson and a more than welcome return to Kieran Sutherland. And it was Sutherland who got the faithful back on their feet, involved in the move which resulted in Mattie Boustead delivering the ‘coup de grace’. Groves’s conversion looked good in the gloom. Unluckily for the player the ball struck the bar, bouncing and the falling down on the wrong side,17-20 the score with just minutes to play.

A big effort was called for, but Morley broke, Percy infringed, another penalty was awarded and with the last kick of the game Chester concluded the scoring.