Percy Park let another lead slip from their grasp

Percy Park RFC 26Moortown 52For the second successive week Percy Park saw a lead slip from their grasp.

Tuesday, 11th February 2020, 2:34 pm
Updated Tuesday, 11th February 2020, 2:37 pm
Action from Saturday's game.

Last week they led by nine at Huddersfield, but saw the advantage drift, this time they were seven up, only to lose by 26.

In gradually worsening conditions, Percy made a bright start and Ruairi Meharg gave them an early lead with Ash Smith adding the extras for a 7-0 lead.

It took Moortown ten minutes to respond and their unconverted try came against the run of play. But it gave them a lift and a second try, converted, gave the visitors a 7-12 lead.

There was a further set-back for Percy when Moortown increased their lead to 7-19 with another converted try.

Percy needed a quick response and it came when Andy Dunn made a good run and off-loaded to Ali Blair to score under the posts, Smith’s conversion making it 14-19 at the half-time whistle.

Again Percy started the second half in a confident mood and Sean Williamson went over for a try, converted by Smith, which put them back in front at 21-19.

With Mortown unable to get their hands on the ball, Seb Reece broke through and his touch-down made it 26-19.

Percy looked to be in control, but then the wheels came off. They started to give away needless penalties, one of which was kicked for 26-22.

Moortown were starting to gain an edge and several long kicks down the field had the home side on the back foot.

Park then rang the changes, but a break by their opponents, combined with poor tackling, led to another converted try for the visitors which saw them back in front at 26-29 with 20 minutes to play.

From here Park ‘went to pot’. Moortown’s strike winger made a mess of the home defensive line and with another penalty given away they found themselves at 26 to 37 and it didn’t get better.

A further try, followed by another penalty kick (playing the ball on the floor), had the home fans wondering what was happening to their side.

Another try ended the pain with the final result standing at 26 to 52 points.