Looking Back at Benton Square Mission
Corrugated iron once provided a quick and relatively cheap solution to the problem of an expanding parish. This view was captioned 'Benton Square C. of E. Mission, 1904 - 1906', although the clothes have a slightly earlier feel.
The 1858 Ordnance Survey map showed Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels at the south and north sides of the Square. By 1894 the former had become a Reading room.
In 1907 the Newcastle Diocesan Gazette failed to reveal Benton Square, and in 1904 Holystone was listed with a brief description of St Aidan’s. It had an 8ft square vestry on the north side and seating for 100. It opened on December 22, 1896, replacing an old railway carriage.
If anyone has further information, please email email@example.com or telephone 0191 643 5270.